Sunday, December 13, 2009

[Cars and God's Will by Keith Cook

On The Go Daily Devotion for December 13, 2009
Brought to you each day by
Keith Cook Evangelistic Association / On The Go

Cars and God's Will by Keith Cook

A few years ago, my wife and I were in a car wreck and left without a vehicle. Because our insurance only paid our car off and we did not want to go in debt for another vehicle, we traveled around in an old van that was given to On The Go. That vehicle was broken into several months after we began to drive it and the window was broken out, engine parts stolen, and electronics lifted. With the van out of commission we were then able to drive around in a vehicle that On The Go has for pulling trailers to projects. It does not have a heater and has over 200,000 miles on it. While we were quite thankful for the dependable transportation, we were rather embarrassed to pull up to church or meetings in such an old vehicle. Many people would pick on us and kid us about driving it, but we would tease back and thank God for the vehicle we had.

As winter was drawing closer, we knew we had to do something, but to fix the heater in the old vehicle would be rather expensive. Joan and I had made a decision several months ago not to go in debt to get a new car. We were going to trust God to either give us the total amount for a new vehicle or were going to continue to drive around in a car that was provided by the ministry.

Every time we would go by a car lot we would look over and say, "Soon!?" We were pleading and stating our hope all in the same word. When you need something really bad you often settle for a good way out and miss God's provision. His way is the best way. While I do not have a problem with people who make payments that they can afford for items, I do have a problem going into debt when you do not have the money and you are going to be suffering and barely making it by making the payments.

In following Christ, Joan and I just knew that God was directing us to not buy a car, but to wait on Him. On my birthday, which is October 28, my Mother called me and informed me she was going to buy a new PT Cruiser. I was very excited for her! She then told me that she did not want to trade her old vehicle because she would not get the value it was worth, so she wanted to give it to me! Joan and I were elated! We waited for God's provision and boy did He provide!

What if I had gone out and bought a car on a payment plan? What if I had run ahead of God and gotten in debt way beyond my ability to pay? First, I would have harmed my family's future financial stability, and I would have stolen a blessing from my mother.

God is so good. When I hung up the phone thinking about how wonderful my mother was I also was thanking my Lord Jesus for working in all our lives.

Trust God's Word to you today. Wait on His plan for you. It is worth the wait!

Daily Prayer Focus: Pray for God's provision for your greatest need. Trust Him, give it to Him. He can handle it.

On The Go Prayer Focus: On The Go Publications & Media Team. We are striving to saturate and minister to a contemporary culture and society through modern media. This division includes our audio, video, internet, and written materials. Through these various ministries we reach out, train, and inspire Christians to action.

Thank you for taking the time to pray for this important division of On The Go Ministries. For more information on any our ministries here at On The Go, you may send your questions to info@onthego.org.

Copyright (c) 2005, 2009 Keith Cook - On The Go
Permission is granted to "forward" this devotional to friends and acquaintances. All other rights reserved.

On The Go Ministries, Keith Cook Team
P.O. Box 963, Springfield, TN 37172, (615) 299-0222, www.onthego.org
Founder/Director - Keith Cook, keithcook@onthego.org
E-zine Editor, Laurie McTier, laurie@onthego.org
Send E-zine questions or comments to: ezines@onthego.org
______________________________________________

Subscribing - If you're reading a pass-along copy of this
"On The Go" devotional e-zine and want to receive your own
subscription, free of charge, simply fill out the online form at
http://onthego.org/ezine_newsletters.php .

After registering online you will receive an e-mail asking you to confirm your subscription request, and you simply reply to that e-mail. Thank you and God bless.