Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Sisters

On The Go Daily Devotion for June 8, 2011
Brought to you each day by
On The Go / Keith Cook Team

Sisters - by Keith Cook

"Say to wisdom, 'You are my sister,' and call understanding your intimate friend;" Proverbs 7:4

God wants us to call wisdom our sister but what kind of wisdom can we gain from a sister?

When I was a young boy my father bought my sister and I a brand new swing set. It was a real prize. I was so proud of that new swing set; I was very controlling over it too.

One day my sister wanted to swing on the metal swing called the seesaw. She was scared to swing on the other swings. But on the seesaw she could hold onto the metal bar that attached to the swing frame.

As she was coming near the swing, I, without much thought, ran past her very abruptly and pushed the seesaw at her. As the seesaw went hurling towards my sister, my mind quickly discerned that I had initiated a very bad situation. Every fiber of my being went numb because I could not stop what I had set in motion. My fears became reality, as I watched the metal seat hit her in the face, causing a large gash. I was shocked. I thought I had killed her.

My mother rushed her to the hospital. The doctor did a great job sewing her up but the scars I had would never heal. I felt bad. I felt like a brute. I could not forgive myself for such a careless gesture.

For days after the accident my sister received my "super boy" efforts to make everything up to her. However, sisters have a way of taking advantage of brothers. They do this not by strength or meanness, but by kindness and tenderness. Most guys are unprepared for kindness. My sister kept being nice and assuring me she was fine and felt no pain. In the mean time, she was asking me to go get this or to please turn on her favorite cartoon. She was very good at getting back at me!

After a while, life got back to normal but inside my mind and heart I had learned a valuable lesson. Even though sisters can be different, they sure are a gift from God. It is such a blessing when you realize that your sibling has been a best friend, long before you knew you needed a friend. So wisdom really is "My Sister!"

Personal Prayer Focus: Pray the God will continually give you wisdom and understanding.

On The Go Prayer Focus: On The Go's "Adopt An Evangelist" program. This program provides funding and support for various missions and evangelists around the world.

Thank you for taking the time to pray for this important division of On The Go Ministries. For more information on any our ministries here at On The Go, you may send your questions to info@onthego.org.

Copyright (c) 2002, 2011 Keith Cook - On The Go
Permission is granted to "forward" this devotional to friends and acquaintances. All other rights reserved.

On The Go Ministries, Keith Cook Team
P.O. Box 963, Springfield, TN 37172, (615) 299-0222, www.onthego.org
Founder/Director - Keith Cook, keithcook@onthego.org
E-zine Editor, Laurie McTier, laurie@onthego.org
Send E-zine questions or comments to: ezines@onthego.org
______________________________________________

Subscribing - If you're reading a pass-along copy of this "On The Go" devotional e-zine and want to receive your own subscription, free of charge, simply fill out the online form at http://onthego.org/ezine_newsletters.php .

After registering online you will receive an e-mail asking you to confirm your subscription request, and you simply reply to that e-mail. Thank you and God bless.