Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Less Of Me and More of Him

Less Of Me and More of Him by Joan Cook

"Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." 1 Corinthians 13:4-7

Daily I am reminded that I am not perfect. I say and do things that are not pleasing to God or to man. I don't mind so much not pleasing man, but the thought of not pleasing God really bothers me, and it should. You see, more often than I'd care to admit, my mouth jumps ahead before I think. I react to situations and people in a way that is not characteristic of how a follower of Jesus Christ should act. I intentionally and unintentionally respond in a way I am not proud of.

Why do I do this? Well, I continue to ask myself that question. When you know a better way, why do you choose to do the wrong thing? After a lengthy discussion with my husband recently, I was once again reminded that life is not all about me! It's so very nice to know that my husband treats me like it is, but I know better. Every time I mess up, I make a conscious decision to go against what I've learned in God's word. I choose to decide on my own what is best! What the best words are, what the best reaction is, what the best decision is. Now, as a Christian I am supposed to have the mind of Christ, so... what I say, do, and how I react should be like Christ. Unfortunately it doesn't always work that way. At least not in my life. Because unfortunately, I don't always listen to that still, small voice of God and obey what He's telling me to do, but think Joan's way is better. And sometimes it does "feel" better to do things my way! Ha, I'm old enough now to know that you certainly can't count on your "feelings" to guide you the right way!

Anyway, I said all that to say that as a follower of Christ who knows there is a much bigger agenda than I can even comprehend, I must be aware of how my words, my looks, my actions and my reactions affect people for eternity! It doesn't matter if I am so right about something, but say it in a way that turns everyone off from listening to the truth I am telling. Just me being right doesn't help anyone if I can't convey that truth in a way that they can relate to and understand.

My prayer tonight is that I will strive to become like the one who convinced others to believe in Him, not by just His words but by His Life! I want to be more like Jesus!

Daily Prayer Focus: Pray that God will mold you and fashion you to be more like Jesus!

On The Go Prayer Focus: The Interns who faithfully come to On The Go each year to work for Christ and learn how to do ministry that matters for the kingdom of God.

Thank you for taking the time to pray for this important division of On The Go Ministries. For more information on any our ministries here at On The Go, you may send your questions to info@onthego.org.

On The Go Daily Devotion for November 28, 2012
Brought to you each day by On The Go / Keith Cook Team

Copyright (c) 2003, 2012  On The Go / Keith Cook Team
Permission is granted to "forward" this devotional to friends and acquaintances. All other rights reserved.

 On The Go / Keith Cook Team
P.O. Box 963, Springfield, TN 37172, (615) 299-0222, www.onthego.org
E-zine Editor, Laurie McTier, laurie@onthego.org
Send E-zine questions or comments to: ezines@onthego.org
______________________________________________

Subscribing - If you're reading a pass-along copy of this "On The Go" devotional e-zine and want to receive your own subscription, free of charge, simply fill out the online form at http://onthego.org/ezine_newsletters.php .

After registering online you will receive an e-mail asking you to confirm your subscription request, and you simply reply to that e-mail. Thank you and God bless.