Sunday, July 1, 2018

Victory and Valuable Truths

Victory and Valuable Truths by Keith Cook

Recently, I was sitting on an airplane contemplating one of my hero's who had just passed away, Pat Summitt.  She had died after a five year battle with dementia and Alzheimer's disease.  Pat was a legendary basketball coach from my home state of Tennessee.  She actually won more basketball games, coaching the women's team at the University of Tennessee, than any coach in history.  She was an amazing lady!  She died at the age of 64. 

As I was reading about her end of life struggles and how quickly the disease struck her career and family in such a drastic way, I started asking myself what lesson was there for me in all this.  She was only 5 years older than me.  She was not planning on this taking her away from the ones she loved and she had little time to prepare her family and friends for what was happening in her life.

My mind quickly jumped to more negative and alarming thoughts... "What is something like this happens to me? I forgot someone's name the other day. Perhaps that's a sign of mending doom for my mental state.  Maybe I should retire early and relax and just have fun with my family and friends while I can enjoy them, remember them, and not be a burden. 

Within in minutes, I was in the middle of a full scale mental and spiritual battle.  Fighting a war within the grips of a panic attack with fear and worry was not the way to obtain victory.  My emotional weapons were letting me know.  My very real and ever present human nature was ganging up on me as well.  I was quickly loosing this fight. 

But, in the middle of any crisis, I know some valuable truths that I have learned by trial and error - the Word of God, life long lessons, and Godly mentors. 
1.  The devil does not fight fair
2. Our mind does not always recall or see the whole picture all at one time
3. Every impression we have is not always right.
4. Nothing is as fearful as the unknown
5. God always has something that will help me If I will ask, seek, listen.

With that in mind, here are some action items that relate to those five crisis truths:
1. Quickly choose not to listen to what the devil is yelling!
2. Focus, relax, and search out as much information as you can so you can see more of the whole issue that you are addressing.
3. Never react to bad news or crisis situations with dramatic actions.  It is always wise to only ACT on what you know is right, true, prudent, and sure.  Stability is what is needed, not unstable, unthought out reactions.
4. Go to mentors, family, and friends to get help.  Share, relax, reflect, and slow down.  Over the course of time, stability will come.
5. Take the time to go to God in prayer and let Him speak to you.  He usually speaks through the Bible.  Once He speaks to your heart, His directives will be clear and right on point.

When God gives directions, they will always be consistent with His character and Word!  He will never lead you to harm yourself or others by your actions.  His word can stand the test of time and should be able to be confirmed by other Christian leaders as being true.  Any word from God will produce peace and relief for you and you will know in your heart and mind that it is true and will come to pass.

In closing, I want to share what happened to me within seconds of my initial crisis moment described above.

I was so overwhelmed that all I could do was pray.  Actually, I prayed a simple prayer, "Oh God, help me". And I'm not joking, but the next thing I knew, I was waking up from a nap.  I believe the Holy Spirit helped me REST in order to get to the place where I was RELAXED enough to think clearly.   As I was awakening, a flight attendant asked me if I would like a Coke and I did!  While I was sipping on my soda, I opened my IPhone and went to a devotional reading that I often read that simply gives me a focus passage for the day. This is what I read.....

"For you created my inmost being, you knit me together in my mother's womb.  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made, your works are wonderful, I know that full well."  Psalms 139:13-14 NIV

Even as I write these words, I have to clear my eyes from the tears that still are coming out of my eyes and soul.  What a great and loving God! What a gracious and kind savior!  God wanted me to know that He made me! He knows my DNA!  He can handle my future.  So can my family and friends and so can I!

It's not time to pull out the rocking chair.  It's time to hit the road (and sky) one more time for Jesus sake!

Personal Prayer Focus: Praise God that there is True Victory in Jesus Christ. Praise Him for Godly Truths, Prayer, and Inspiration He has given you in your Christian Walk. Praise Him for Friends, Mentors, and Family Members that God has placed in your life.

On The Go Prayer Focus: Keith Cook Crusades, Celebrations, and Festivals. God has given Keith the opportunity and privilege of sharing the message of Christ both stateside and internationally. During each opportunity, Keith presents a joyful and enthusiastic, yet powerful and clear presentation of the Gospel and a call to commitment to Christ. Our next Festival will be in San Pedro Island, Belize on July 14-25, 2018.

Thank you for taking the time to pray for this important division of On The Go Ministries. For more information on any our ministries here at On The Go, you may send your questions to info@onthego.org.

On The Go Daily Devotion for July 1, 2018
Brought to you each day by On The Go Ministries / Keith Cook Team

Copyright (c) 2017, 2018 On The Go Ministries / Keith Cook Team
Permission is granted to "forward" this devotional to friends and acquaintances. All other rights reserved.

On The Go Ministries / Keith Cook Team
P.O. Box 963, Springfield, TN 37172, (615) 299-0222, www.onthego.org
E-zine Editor, Laurie McTier, laurie@onthego.org
Send E-zine questions or comments to: ezines@onthego.org
______________________________________________

Subscribing - If you're reading a pass-along copy of this "On The Go" devotional e-zine and want to receive your own subscription, free of charge, simply fill out the online form at http://onthego.org/ezine_newsletters.php .

After registering online you will receive an e-mail asking you to confirm your subscription request, and you simply reply to that e-mail. Thank you and God bless.