Saturday, May 8, 2010

My Mother by Joan Cook

On The Go Daily Devotion for May 8, 2010
Brought to you each day by
On The Go Ministries / Keith Cook Team

My Mother by Joan Cook

"I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him. So now I give him to the LORD. For his whole life he will be given over to the LORD." 1 Samuel 1:27,28

I am the youngest of five children. I have a sister, Peggy; a brother, Larry; a brother, David; and a sister, Janis. My mom had her hands full! As I was growing up, my mother worked outside the home. She worked as a church secretary and then a head teller in a bank as she raised her five children. Then, she became a trooper for the Mississippi Highway Patrol. Yes, she carried a gun!

My mother was a strong woman. She's always had to be! You see, my father was an alcoholic and had another life apart from his family's on many occasions. But, my Mom was always there! She worked to keep food on the table, clothes on our backs, and a roof over our head. She worked hard to make sure her children had everything they needed.

I can't remember a year when she did not take us on a vacation. I grew up in South Mississippi, but every year she would take us to the beach in Destin, the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville, or Disney World in Orlando. She always managed to have fun with her children.

More than anything else, my mother instilled in me a love for Jesus Christ. She trusted in Him and taught us to do the same. She taught me that I had to put feet to my faith. She taught me that I could not stand by and ask God for something unless I was willing to do my part. She also taught me that the only way to true joy was to be in the center of God's will.

I have learned so much from my mother and I hope I have handed down some of her wisdom to my son. This Mother's Day, I want to say thank you to my mom! Thank you for always being there for me! Thank you for loving me and teaching me to love the Lord!

Personal Prayer Focus: Praise God for godly mothers who have made eternal investments in their children's lives.

On The Go Prayer Focus: On The Go's "Adopt An Evangelist" program. This program provides funding and support for various missions and evangelists around the world.

Thank you for taking the time to pray for this important division of On The Go Ministries. For more information on any our ministries here at On The Go, you may send your questions to info@onthego.org.

Copyright (c) 2004, 2010 Keith Cook - On The Go
Permission is granted to "forward" this devotional to friends and acquaintances. All other rights reserved.

On The Go Ministries, Keith Cook Team
P.O. Box 963, Springfield, TN 37172, (615) 299-0222, www.onthego.org
Founder/Director - Keith Cook, keithcook@onthego.org
E-zine Editor, Laurie McTier, laurie@onthego.org
Send E-zine questions or comments to: ezines@onthego.org
______________________________________________

Subscribing - If you're reading a pass-along copy of this
"On The Go" devotional e-zine and want to receive your own
subscription, free of charge, simply fill out the online form at
http://onthego.org/ezine_newsletters.php .

After registering online you will receive an e-mail asking you to confirm your subscription request, and you simply reply to that e-mail. Thank you and God bless.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
You are subscribed as ##L@##H.
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dailydevotions-unsubscribe@onthego.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dailydevotions-help@onthego.org