Monday, May 22, 2017

Set The Pace

Set The Pace by Laurie McTier

"Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith," Hebrews 12:1,2

A few years ago, God gave me the opportunity to spend some quality time with a very dear friend. My friend is physically fit, but this year God was teaching her discipline as she is developing a jogging program so that she can stay in shape.

One afternoon, my friend asked me to go walking with her. In my heart, I know that I need to increase my exercise routine, so I quickly agreed. Although I tried to keep the pace, it seemed that I just slowed her regimen down. As we walked, we made many new acquaintances, one of which was 60 years old and walks at least an hour and a half every evening. Mr. H. guards his exercise time, and does not allow anything to interfere as this is one of the most important parts of his day, second only to his personal time with the Lord and family.

Mr. H. and my friend were able to keep pace with one another, and I asked them to go ahead of me so that they could get the full extent of their walk. I noticed that I began to get a little discouraged because I was not as in shape as they were and could not walk as fast as they did. At times, I wanted to quit.

Through this illustration, I am reminded that the enemy wants to prohibit us from doing anything that is beneficial for the Kingdom or would bring glory to God. One thing that God taught me as I walked that afternoon was that He wanted me to allow Him to "set the pace". He reminded me that I am not to compete or compare myself to others, but just relax and let Him set the controls in my life. He also showed me that it is His desire that I press on and not quit. This can apply to every area of our lives, not just in exercising. We can all make overall applications in our lives as God wants to discipline us in many areas of our life. God wants us to remain faithful to His call and to keep the pace in all that He has laid out on our course of life.

Daily Prayer: God, give me the strength and stamina that I need today to fulfill the tasks You have for me to do. Help me to keep the pace.

On The Go Prayer Focus: Those who need to make decisions for Christ as On The Go and the Keith Cook Team shares the Gospel around the world. Pray that they will hear a clear message about Christ, that the Holy Spirit will move them to a point of decision and that they will be bold enough to publicly respond for Christ.

Thank you for taking the time to pray for this important division of On The Go Ministries. For more information on any our ministries here at On The Go, you may send your questions to info@onthego.org.

On The Go Daily Devotion for May 22, 2017
Brought to you each day by On The Go Ministries / Keith Cook Team

Copyright (c) 2003, 2017 On The Go Ministries / Keith Cook Team
Permission is granted to "forward" this devotional to friends and acquaintances. All other rights reserved.

On The Go Ministries / Keith Cook Team
P.O. Box 963, Springfield, TN 37172, (615) 299-0222, www.onthego.org
E-zine Editor, Laurie McTier, laurie@onthego.org
Send E-zine questions or comments to: ezines@onthego.org
______________________________________________

Subscribing - If you're reading a pass-along copy of this "On The Go" devotional e-zine and want to receive your own subscription, free of charge, simply fill out the online form at http://onthego.org/ezine_newsletters.php .

After registering online you will receive an e-mail asking you to confirm your subscription request, and you simply reply to that e-mail. Thank you and God bless.