Friday, February 13, 2015

By A Razors Edge

By A Razors Edge by Keith Cook

Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness, and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love. For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For he who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins. Therefore, brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you; for as long as you practice these things, you will never stumble;  2 Petter 1:5-10 (NASB)

The other day I was in a hurry getting ready for church. I was running late and not really paying attention. I was not really focused on what I was doing. I had millions of things on my mind other than what was at hand, and to make matters worse, I was in the middle of the most critical job I had to do to get ready - Shaving!

While I was finishing up the job with a new razor in hand I noticed a few places where I had missed a spot or two and was quickly going back over those areas of my face that still were not as smooth and stubble free as needed. Without warning or any real notice I veered too close to my nose and before I knew it I had shaved off the top skin of one side of my nose. I was shocked, stunned, and embarrassed.

Right in the middle of my hurried plans to get ready for church I had a mini-catastrophe on my hands. Needless to say my plans had to be changed to reflect my present crisis mode.

Have you ever had something like this happen to you?  Out of nowhere something happens at the worst possible time?  You were not wanting it - or even deserving of the situation but - it happens anyway and you have to deal with it. Here are some observations that may help you get through through those "razors edge situations".

1. Troubles often come when we get in a hurry. Slow down and think. Tone down your activities a bit to include time for reflection  and a more controlled schedule. Take the time to plan and organize your day so you are not running behind or on empty.

2. Pay attention to everything you do. It is usually the small things that come at us that trip us up and cause so much pain and disorder. Every little detail in your life is important. If you are on a health program to get in shape or take a few pounds off you need to track every little exercise you do and every calorie you put in your body. You have to pay attention.

3. Focus on what is at hand. When you are talking with someone, listening to something, driving somewhere, writing or engaged in an activity - make sure you focus on that. There will be plenty of time to reflect, plan, or vision cast later in your day. Stay focused and give it your best. It will pay off in more productivity and success.

4. Just because your intentions are good or plans are honorable you're not guaranteed success or allowed any slack in being professional and alert. I was getting ready for church, wanting to go do good. Just simply getting ready for something I had done thousands of times. But still I had no extra grace or magic promise from the Bible that protected me from a razors edge. I personally do not want God to have to perform miracles every day to get me through my day. I want signs and wonders to follow me as I - do His work - His way - and operate in His power. While we all are guaranteed His plan and provision, we are not promised a trouble free life if we loose focus, don't pay attention, or get in a hurry.

Running to do good, preparing to minister in Jesus name, rising to the occasion, being right where Jesus wants you to be are all great desires and goals - but missing it by a razors edge should be a warning for us all that we are not immune from the troubles and dangers of life just because we are His child and servant.

Daily Prayer Focus: Pray that God will help you slow down, pay attention to matters as hand, and keep your focus!

On The Go Prayer Focus: CityFest Vizag. Pray that God will continue to draw the hearts and minds of Young People in India to the Cross!  Pray for our team as the Share the Love of Christ this weekend at CityFest.

Thank you for taking the time to pray for this important division of On The Go Ministries. For more information on any our ministries here at On The Go, you may send your questions to info@onthego.org.

On The Go Daily Devotion for February 13, 2015
Brought to you each day by On The Go Ministries / Keith Cook Team

Copyright (c) 2003, 2015 On The Go Ministries / Keith Cook Team
Permission is granted to "forward" this devotional to friends and acquaintances. All other rights reserved.

On The Go Ministries / Keith Cook Team
P.O. Box 963, Springfield, TN 37172, (615) 299-0222, www.onthego.org
E-zine Editor, Laurie McTier, laurie@onthego.org
Send E-zine questions or comments to: ezines@onthego.org
______________________________________________

Subscribing - If you're reading a pass-along copy of this "On The Go" devotional e-zine and want to receive your own subscription, free of charge, simply fill out the online form at http://onthego.org/ezine_newsletters.php .

After registering online you will receive an e-mail asking you to confirm your subscription request, and you simply reply to that e-mail. Thank you and God bless.